Check out our latest Member of the Week, Amber Roper. Amber is relatively new to cosplay with her most detailed character being Abby Scuito from NCIS. She is working on several other cosplays right now and is looking forward to this year’s Naka-Kon in March where she will debut new cosplay characters including her own original character from a text-based RPG! Keep reading to learn more about Amber.
How did you get into cosplay?
In the past, the most I ever did was dress up for Halloween. These last few years [I’m] getting a lot more creative by dressing as Abby Scuito from NCIS or Flo from the Progressive commercials. This last Halloween, though, I took to the acting scene a bit by working for Worlds of Fun’s Haunt in their Lore of Vampire house and dressing up from that house really gave me a hunger to do it more outside of work or a specific season. I’m actually just about to debut as a full fledged Cosplayer this coming Naka-Kon with an [original character] I created from a text based RPG site. Since high school, I had always dreamed of going there and cosplaying, but neither had the money to go nor the time to prepare the cosplays.
How many characters are you currently cosplaying and what are they?
As of now, I only have three and a half with two that I will adding on.
- Kikukina and Anikuki-Kiku is my OC who has a demon within her that tries to command control over her named Ani. This the 1 1/2 cosplay that I made for the text based RPG site.
- In the past I have cosplayed Abby Scuito from NCIS for Halloween, but I also play her rather well outside that for fun but not outside my own home. It took 3 years to perfect.
- Flo from the Progressive commercials. She has been done once for Halloween, but I rather like dressing up as her.
My two other cosplays that I plan to debut with my Kiku/Ani at Naka-Kon are:
- The White Queen- this originally was going to be a two person cosplay that I was going to do with a friend of mine for Naka, but she will not being able to do it this year with me. I was going to be a queen based off the White Queen chess piece and she the Black Queen. In the end, this year I will instead dress up as The White Queen from Tim B.’s Alice in Wonderland.
- Most Fruitful Yuki- This one is most likely going to be a cosplay I can only do when expecting. By the time Naka-Kon comes around, I will be far enough along in my pregnancy to have a satisfactory baby bump for this cosplay.
- I also have another cosplay I wish to start, a character from my friend’s book series she is writing, as well as many other characters from Animes I watch. Time will tell when I can start I them.
What’s your favorite cosplay you’ve done so far and why?
So far Abby, because she has been my oldest cosplay to date. I have worked on her the longest and feel the most comfortable dressing as her. I’m sure once I dress more in my other ideas for future cosplays, I will change my mind, but Abby it is today.
What’s your favorite way to craft?
My favorite way to craft would be in sewing new pieces of clothing and altering existing clothing into pieces that I use for my cosplays. I have little talent in other ways right now, but I plan on trying to use foam to make custom weapons for my Kiku/Ani cosplay as well as future others.
What’s your favorite crafting item to work with and why?
My favorite creating tool would be a seam ripper because for obvious reasons, to easily and effectively alter or correct a line of stitches that is either not needed or mistakenly placed.
What are your cosplay goals (e.g. professional, hobbyist, charity, gateway to another career, etc)?
I’d love to go professional as a Cosplayer, but at this time it being a hobby is satisfying enough.
What’s your dream cosplay and why?
I wish to one day cosplay as Orihime Inoue with my husband as Ulquiorra. I ship that pairing so hard!
What advice would you give someone who wants to get into cosplay?
Thrift stores will be a good place to start looking for items to use for cosplay, but not always the best. I’m short on money, but work at a thrift store so I can get most of what I need. Cosplays for anime characters are harder to find things for there.
What other interests do you have outside of cosplay?
Reading, anime, and editing. I also collect Oriental fans and other items like chopsticks, tea items, and manga because the culture excites me.
If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why?
Degenes, another character from my friend’s book series, because it would be awesome to listen to her talk about everything I’ve missed from the series that hasn’t been written yet.